EIGHT REASONS TO HATE COMCAST:
1. We had made an appointment to switch my Mac from Earthlink DSL to a Comcast cable modem and to add a wireless network so R. could get online from her laptop. But they called early that day to tell us that they didn't have the right equipment to add the second computer. It would be 10 to 12 days before they could help us. They promised to call when they were ready.
2. No one called.
3. We did get a cable bill, though, that charged us over $200 for installation work that had never been done.
When we called to complain, the lady on the phone apologized, telling us that we obviously didn't have to pay for work that never took place and that we wouldn't have to pay that much either. Indeed, she gave us a discount for our trouble. This is not a reason to hate Comcast, and this nice woman is, as far as I can tell, the only good thing about the company. She told us that the missing equipment was now at hand, and we scheduled an installation for the next day between 1 and 5 in the afternoon.
4. Around 4:30, the cable guy called me for directions, then added (I paraphrase from memory): "Oh, by the way, I don't have the equipment to add the laptop. But I can put your main computer on the cable modem today and come back to do the wireless network later this week."
5. I pointed out that just yesterday his company had told me that they did have the equipment now. He claimed hurriedly that he had left the warehouse without realizing he'd brought the wrong stuff, and that now the warehouse was closed. He was obviously lying.
6. I told him I'd rather he hook up both computers at the same time, and we rescheduled for a few days later, again between 1 and 5. No one showed up that day.
7. Nobody called to say he wasn't showing up either.
8. I called Comcast after 5 to ask where the service guy was. I was put on hold for around 10 minutes, then told apologetically that actually, they just don't support wireless networking for Macs. Sorry to have wasted your time.
posted by Jesse 2:38 PM
. . .