The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Thursday, December 11, 2014
WHAT I WROTE IN 2014: I have evidently given up on the idea of linking to all my articles on this blog as they come out, and I'm not going to try to list all my stories of the year here now. (You can scroll through my
author's page at Reason for that.) But here are some of the more notable items I published this year:

• "10 Most Essential 1970s Conspiracy Thrillers" (io9, January 28)

• "Transforming a Tower" (Reason, February)

• "The Monster at the End of This Book" (RALPH, Mid-Spring)

• "Another War Breaks Out In the Pacifica Radio Network" (Hit & Run, March 19)

• "AWESOME NEW OBAMACARE SITE SHOWS THE WHITE HOUSE REALLY 'GETS' MILLENIALS" (Hit & Run, March 17)

• "Mickey Rooney, RIP" (Hit & Run, April 7)

• "Regulating Hateful Speech Won't Stop Hateful Crimes" (Reason, April 17)

• "Four Great Myths of the McCarthy Era" (Hit & Run, April 22)

• "Paranoia at the Disco" (The New Inquiry, May 15)

• "It's All a Conspiracy" (Slate, May 20)

• "American Panic" (The Wall Street Journal, May 23)

• "A Short History of Game Panics" (Reason, June)

• "Choose Your Own Adventure" (Reason, June)

• "Why Did Nicholas Kristof Believe Somaly Mam's Lies?" (Hit & Run, June 3)

• "Are School Homicides 'Becoming the Norm'?" (Hit & Run, June 11)

• "The Superpower Should Retire" (Reason, June 19)

• "The Sultan of Sewers" (Reason, July)

• "No Messing With Death" (The American Spectator, July/August)

• "The Greatest Fake Religion of All Time" (io9, August 15)

• "The ISIS Conspiracies" (Reason, September 17)

• "The FBI Says 'Active Shooter Incidents' Are On the Rise. What Does That Mean?" (Hit & Run, September 24)

• "Jim Traficant, 1941-2014" (Hit & Run, September 28)

• "Generational Generalizations Gone Wrong" (Reason, October)

• "I think I accidentally started an urban legend. My bad." (Hit & Run, October 8)

• "Ebola and the Media's Multiple Personality Disorder" (Reason, October 22)

• "Avant-GIFs" (Reason, November)

• "The Hidden History of Queer Country Music" (Hit & Run, November 21)

• "Suspicious Minds" (Reason, December)

• "The Last Words of Eric Garner" (Hit & Run, December 4)

This was also the year I launched a weekly Hit & Run feature called the Friday A/V Club. And (oh, yeah) Harper published an expanded paperback edition of my book The United States of Paranoia.

If you'd like to keep up with my writing as it comes out, as opposed to waiting for an annual roundup of the highlights, I suggest following me on Twitter. Though there's something to be said for the roundup approach—Slow Twitter, we can call it. Reading all those pieces can keep you occupied til next December, and then we'll do it all over again.


posted by Jesse 11:40 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .