The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Thursday, October 16, 2008
FOLLIES PLUS JAZZ: The DJ before me had to duck out early this morning, so in addition to hosting my usual
radio show, I covered the last 45 minutes of Jazz 'Til Noon as well:

Miles Davis: Someday My Prince Will Come
Bud Powell: The Last Time I Saw Paris
Duke Ellington/Ray Nance: Day Dream
John Zorn: Spillane

And my show proper? The first 40 minutes or so were, if I may say so myself, some of the best radio I've ever done. Then I horribly botched the segue from Everlast to Ben Harper. The rest fell in-between.

Charlie Daniels: Long Haired Country Boy
David Allan Coe: Longhaired Redneck
Woody Allen: Down South
Kapelye: Leb Zol Palestina
Squirrel Nut Zippers: Memphis Exorcism
The O'Jays: For the Love of Money
Otis Redding: Hard to Handle
Jean Knight: Mr. Big Stuff
Charles Wright: Express Yourself
The Staple Singers: Respect Yourself
Doris Duke: Ghost of Myself
Everlast: Soul Music
Ben Harper: Please Me Like You Want To
Bama Boyz: Sweet Home Alabama
Cowboy Troy: Texas
Beck: Sissyneck
The Kinks: Maximum Consumption
Patti Smith: Redondo Beach
Lord Rhaburn: More Love Reggae
Rico/The Special A.K.A.: Jungle Music
Los Lobos: I Wanna Be Like You
The Bodysnatchers: Too Experienced
Arthur Alexander: Detroit City
Thelonious Monk: Epistrophy
Manu Dibango: Biko
The Clash: Career Opportunities (children's version)
The Clash: Career Opportunities (punk version)
The Ramones: Teenage Lobotomy
The Modern Lovers: Hospital
Van Morrison: T.B. Sheets
The Everly Brothers: Bowling Green
Rockpile: When Will I Be Loved
Bob Dylan: Take a Message to Mary
Cowboy Copas: Feelin' Low
Roger Miller: Do-Wacka-Do
Merle Haggard: America First
Johnny Cash: The Engineer's Dying Child
Elvis Costello: Wave a White Flag
The Hot Club of Cowtown: Polka Dots and Moonbeams
Hank Penny: Hillbilly Be-Bop
Kinky Friedman: The Ballad of Charles Whitman
Clarence Gatemouth Brown: Mama Mambo
Charlie Rich: I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water
Al Green: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Jason and the Nashville Scorchers: I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
The Dickies: You Drive Me Ape (You Big Gorilla)
The Avengers: Teenage Rebel
June Tabor/The Oysterband: All Tomorrow's Parties
Roberta Flack: Compared to What
Bob Dylan: Wigwam

I'm thinking about making "Wigwam" my closing theme -- it's got that perfect combination of cheesy camp value and genuine musical pleasure.


posted by Jesse 9:39 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .