The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Tuesday, September 09, 2008
RETURN OF THE NATIVE: As of this week, I am again a DJ at WCBN, the campus station at the University of Michigan where I worked from 1988 to 1993. With a motto borrowed from a long-dead California freeform station -- "it's all country music, it just depends on what country you come from" -- I'll be playing a mix of soul, punk, ska, funk, gospel, country, klezmer, jazz, and random snippets of the Zeitgeist from 12 to 3 each Thursday afternoon on a show I call Titicut Follies. If you live in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area, you can hear this at 88.3 FM; if you live elsewhere, you'll have to go to
wcbn.org. I'll post the playlists on this blog after each episode.

And speaking of lists: I participated in yet another poll this week at The Cinematheque. This time the topic was the best movies of film's greatest era, the '40s. My top five:

1. Shadow of a Doubt (Alfred Hitchcock, 1943)
2. Orpheus (Jean Cocteau, 1949)
3. Double Indemnity (Billy Wilder, 1944)
4. Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur, 1947)
5. It's a Wonderful Life (Frank Capra, 1946)

To see what made my runner-up list, and to read everyone else's responses, you'll have to go to the Cinematheque site.


posted by Jesse 4:02 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .