The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Friday, May 09, 2008
LETHEMANIA: My
new column for Reason is a report from a conference on copyright that I attended last week. One of the speakers there was Jonathan Lethem, so here, in his honor, is a passage from Fortress of Solitude:
I considered now that what I had once loved in this record, and certain others -- Remain in Light, "O Superman," Horses -- was the middle space they conjured and dwelled in, a bohemian demimonde, a hippie dream....It was the same space the communists and gays and painters of celluloid imagined they'd found in Gowanus, only to be unwitting wedges for realtors, a racial wrecking ball. A gentrification was the scar left by a dream, Utopia the show which always closed on opening night.
My mom, who knows I'm a Lethem fan, lent me her copy of Fortress of Solitude a while ago, and I've been lazy about returning it. I brought it along to the conference and got the author to sign it for her -- which seems a little odd, now that I think about it, considering the relationship between the book's protagonist and his mother.


posted by Jesse 11:29 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .