The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Tuesday, March 11, 2008
PAUL KRASSNER ON PARANOIA:
The man sitting in front on me, an operative for the CIA, adjusted the ring on his finger in order to let his partner know that I was on the bus again. I had to let the man in front of me know that I was onto his game. So I took out my ballpoint pen. Clicking the top over and over like a telegraph key, I kept repeating, "Paul Krassner calling Abbie Hoffman." The CIA operative fidgeted nervously. He knew I was onto him now.

My mind had finally snapped.

Allen Ginsberg's poem Howl began, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by machines, starving hysterical, naked," and I had always identified with the "best minds" part but never with the "madness" part. Eventually I told Abbie Hoffman how I had tried to convince a CIA operative sitting in front of me on the bus that I was calling Abbie by using my ballpoint pen as a telegraph key.

"Oh, yeah," he said. "I got your call, only it was collect, so I couldn't accept it."
(From "One Flew Into the Cuckoo's Nest," Argonaut, Spring 1994)


posted by Jesse 1:46 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .