The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Tuesday, July 17, 2007
SELF-PROMOTION: First: I did a
column for Reason this week about Ron Paul, his online supporters, and Snakes on a Plane revisionism.

Second: A while back, I spoke at a panel about podcasting at the World Bank. Me + the World Bank = one weird combination, but I think the event went well. The good folks at Beyond the Book have now posted it as a podcast itself.

Third: Last week The Cinematheque asked a bunch of writers to select our five favorite sports movies. Here's the short version of my response:

1. Hoop Dreams
2. The Naked Gun
3. MASH
4. Slap Shot
5. tie: Body and Soul and Raging Bull

Honorable mention: The "Stanley's Cup" episode of South Park.

To see my justifications for those picks and to read the other replies, you'll have to go to the Cinematheque site, which posted the results today. Looking at the other ballots, I'm already slapping myself for leaving three movies out: Horse Feathers, which deserved an honorable mention at least; The Set-Up, which should have been part of my fifth-place tie and maybe should have replaced Body and Soul altogether; and The Big Lebowski, surely the greatest bowling movie ever made. Bowling's a sport, isn't it?


posted by Jesse 10:39 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .