The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Tuesday, December 05, 2006
A SPARSE CROP OF MOVIES: The December tradition at this blog is to skip the traditional list of the year's best movies and instead offer lists of the best films released 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 30 years ago, and so on. The rationale for this is that I never manage to see all the movies I want to watch within a given year, so why not avoid the rush?

Never has that been more true than in 2006. Parenthood has been cruel to my picturegoing habit: By my count I saw only six mass-market releases in the theater this year, and two of those were leftovers from 2005. I did also catch Mission: Impossible 3 on an airplane, but there's no way that one would come anywhere near a top-ten list. Indeed, while I liked most of the movies I did see, the only one that approaches top-ten quality is A Prairie Home Companion, and even then I suspect I'm grading on a curve.

Am I really missing anything? Yes, I have high hopes for The Departed and A Scanner Darkly and a couple other flicks that have so far slipped past me, but I doubt that Hollywood produced anything in 2006 that was as good as the third season of Deadwood or the fourth season of The Wire. And I suspect that half the video mash-ups I watch on YouTube will be better than whatever wins an Oscar for Best Picture.

Or maybe I'm just rationalizing. Either way, stay tuned. Our glances back at 1996, 1986, and the rest will be posted soon.


posted by Jesse 10:10 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .