The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Monday, November 27, 2006
SELF-PROMOTION: This week's poll at The Cinematheque: the top five experimental/avant-garde films. It's no surprise that Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid's Meshes of the Afternoon finished first -- indeed, one reason I didn't bother to vote for it was because I was pretty sure it would win anyway. Most of the runners-up are also worthy, though I have to confess I've never understood the appeal of Michael Snow's Wavelength, except perhaps as a prank on the audience.

The full results, including my own votes and comments, are
posted on the Cinematheque site. It occurs to me now that my excuse for leaving out Luis Bunuel -- that I was "discriminating against narrative films" -- might sound odd, given that Bunuel co-directed the clearly non-narrative Un chien andalou, which finished second in the poll. So I'll clarify here that, while I like that movie, it wasn't one of the Bunuel films that I was tempted to vote for.


posted by Jesse 3:20 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .