The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Friday, November 03, 2006
FOUR MORE SHOPPING DAYS TIL THE ELECTION: Reason has
surveyed its staff about how we'll be voting next week. I guess the big revelation is that nearly half of us won't be voting next week. Here's what I had to say:
I just moved from Baltimore City to Baltimore County, and have not yet bothered to change my registration. Even if I had, though, I'm not familiar enough with my new neighborhood to have opinions in the local races, and local races are usually the only ones worth voting in.

I have a slight preference for the incumbent governor, the Kempish Republican Bob Ehrlich, over his challenger, a Clinton manque named Martin O'Malley, but I can't bring myself to vote for him -- I don't want to reward his cronyism, or his war on journalists willing to investigate the underside of his administration. Neither major candidate for the Senate impresses me much; if I voted, I suppose it would be for Kevin Zeese, an antiwar activist running on a Green-Libertarian-Populist fusion ticket.
I could have extended the Ehrlich-bashing for paragraphs, but the sad thing is that O'Malley really is worse. One good thing I'll say about Ehrlich: He's relatively sane on the drug issue, which is rare in Republicans and in politicians in general.

In other news, my Timothy Leary article is now online. And December's print edition of Reason just came out; it includes an interview Nick Gillespie and I did with South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, as well as a short piece I wrote about the Maine National Guard's infamous Flat Daddy/Flat Mommy program. It isn't on the Web yet, so get thee to a newsstand.


posted by Jesse 4:31 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .