The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Sunday, January 15, 2006
WE GET THE FUNK: A while back I
quoted Joe Henry and David Cantwell's noble attempt to define the blues impulse, the gospel impulse, and the soul impulse, and I asked my readers what the funk impulse might be. Immediately after I posted that, I realized that the correct answer would have to be some version of George Clinton's free your mind and your ass will follow. So the prize goes to Eric Dixon of Shrubbloggers, who came closest with this: "Instead of looking within, or to a higher power, or to the person next to you, you look to the ass of the person next to you and realize how much better it might look if it were a-shakin'."


posted by Jesse 10:43 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .