The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Monday, January 23, 2006
THE END IS NIGH: I'm going to stop the
movie lists there. For the record, though, my favorite film of 1935 is Bride of Frankenstein. Lots of people assume there's a queer subtext to that movie, because director James Whale was openly gay. I think they're right, but everything I've seen on the subject goes in the wrong direction by looking for parallels between the persecuted monster and the persecuted homosexual. My theory is more elaborate, and (he added modestly) more interesting. I doubt I'm the first person to conceive of it, and someone must have written a paper about it at some point; if not, I guess I'll have to write it myself. For now I'll just say that when Pretorius cries out "The bride of Frankenstein!" as the monster's mate comes to life, he's not referring to the lady creature. He's referring to himself.

My favorite film of 1925 is either Buster Keaton's Seven Chances or the Lon Chaney Phantom of the Opera. My favorite film of 1915 is probably Raoul Walsh's Regeneration, which isn't actually that great a movie, which might help explain why I'm not coughing up a top ten list for 1915.


posted by Jesse 1:55 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .