The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Friday, November 18, 2005
A POINTLESS PORTAL OF OUR OWN: I was going to join the Open Source Media-bashing party, but my heart isn't in it. It's entertaining to watch these people reinventing the dot-com bust just five years after the fact, complete with
misused buzzwords, especially since they've been creative enough to add a few new mistakes of their own. So why complain? It isn't my money on the line.

It did take me a minute to figure out what separates their site from an RSS reader, but then I remembered the difference: An RSS reader actually shows me what I want to read. This shows me what some underqualified editors think I want to read.

There is a moral here, and if I ever do write something substantial about the OSM saga -- maybe when the company collapses -- it will probably be my theme. Just because you're part of a sea change doesn't mean you understand it. What these New Media mavens built is essentially identical to the white elephants those Old Media companies put together when they were first trying to figure out the Internet. Like Hugh Hewitt's horrible book Blog, which frequently mistakes the author's corner of the blogosphere for the entire thing, they've confused a process with its participants. It's blogging, not bloggers, that's revolutionary. And there's nothing remotely radical about the business these particular bloggers have thrown together.


posted by Jesse 10:48 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .