The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Thursday, August 04, 2005
STEVEN VINCENT, RIP: He was
kidnapped and killed in Iraq this week, probably in retaliation for his reporting.

Steve wrote three features for Reason, one about Iraq and two about archeology. The archeology articles were excellent. The Iraq piece I didn't care for -- not so much because I disagreed with its political stance, though there was that too, but because it seemed to psychoanalyze an entire society based on one rather limited visit. To his credit, Steve kept exploring Iraq, and his later reporting from the frontlines was much more interesting and nuanced. Indeed, his scathing final post to his blog is one of the best dispatches from this war that I've seen.

I never met him, but we corresponded, and he seemed like a smart and decent man. Every time there was a Reason event in New York, he'd write me to ask if I'd be there and if we finally would meet. I never went, and now I'll never meet him.


posted by Jesse 8:42 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .