The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Thursday, August 04, 2005
SELF-PROMOTION: I wrote a
blurb about Robbie Fulks for the new L.A. Weekly, in theory to announce an upcoming concert but mostly just to praise his latest CD, Georgia Hard, currently the leading contender for Best Album of 2005. It's not the first time I've written about Fulks: I did a mini-interview with him for Reason back in 2000.

Also: A few years ago I helped make a movie with the unfortunate title Talking Butts: A Smoking Documentary. About half of it explores the culture of smoking, and about half is a muckraking exposé of the tobacco settlement, which was sold as a way to rein in Big Tobacco but wound up creating a government-enforced cartel instead. I'm credited as co-director but, pace the auterists, I don't consider myself an author of the film; the final form of the narrative was established in the editing room, by Mark Toscani and Paul Feine.

The long version of the documentary isn't available right now, but one of my collaborators, Bretigne Shaffer, has created a 12-minute cut of her own and posted it online. The full version is around 50 minutes, so obviously there's a lot missing, but her edit should give you a feel for the movie's style and POV. Curious viewers can watch it at the Mises Institute website.


posted by Jesse 11:17 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .