The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Tuesday, August 09, 2005
DADDYBLOGGING: Last weekend
Fluid Movement, a campy local water-ballet troupe, brought its annual performance to the pool in the park across the street. Maya came along in a Snugli attached to my chest. ("Snugli": a cheap knockoff of the better-known "Baby Bjorn.") It was her first public pageant, and she slept through most of it, though we did have to slip her a bottle of freshly pumped breastmilk about midway through the play. Since she was attached to my chest while I fed her, I had the distinct feeling that I was breastfeeding in public.

Such gender-bending moments aren't out of place at a Fluid Movement show -- the group's sensibility owes at least as much to John Waters as to Busby Berkeley. The ballet's plot was loose enough to include cameos by Jaws, Eric von Zipper, an enormous lobster, and Tom Jones in a gorilla suit. I can't imagine Maya absorbed any of it, but I figure it's a good idea to expose her as soon as possible to the best that Low Culture has to offer. You know -- the first three years and all that.


posted by Jesse 4:08 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .