MOVIE MOMENTS: When an acquaintance asked for a list of great movie moments, I gave him a random assortment of favorites in no rational order. What follows, just barely edited, are my 25 picks.
Note: This is not a "top" 25 list. If a scene isn't listed here, that doesn't mean I don't like it better:
• Miller's speech on airplanes and time machines in Repo Man
• "Not fair? Who's the fucking nihilist?" in The Big Lebowski
• "Where do you think those boys learned to shoot?" in Full Metal Jacket
• Robert Redford rearranges his stump-speech lines in the back seat of a car in The Candidate
• Harpo's hidden gramophone in Monkey Business
• Elmer Fudd's entrance in What's Opera, Doc?
• the redneck bar in The Blues Brothers
• "TPC" is identified in The President's Analyst
• the Wizard explains degrees and testimonials in The Wizard of Oz
• Praetorius meets the monster in Bride of Frankenstein
• a garden club meeting in The Manchurian Candidate
• Jack Lemmon gets giddy about a new boyfriend in Some Like it Hot
• Buster Keaton jumps from movie to movie in Sherlock Jr.
• Harold Lloyd hangs from a clock in Safety Last
• a mysterious radio transmission in Orpheus
• Orson Welles plays a beautiful woman in F for Fake
• a sudden influx of sheep in The Exterminating Angel
• the tense final confrontation in Blue Collar
• the Maoist revolutionary's contract negotiation in Network
• Woody Allen plays marching-band cello in Take the Money and Run
• a Waylon Jennings lookalike starts singing "Good-Hearted Woman" at a revival in UFOria
• a painfully earnest New Age meeting in Safe
• an escalating war of pranks, with the Who blaring on the soundtrack, in Rushmore
• the inmates stand up for their right to lose money gambling in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
• Criswell's introductory ruminations on The Future in Plan Nine from Outer Space
posted by Jesse 3:55 PM
. . .