The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Monday, June 07, 2004
BONZO GOES DUTCH WITH BITBURG: Over at Hit & Run, my boss is
listing his favorite Reagan memories; at The Simpleton, another colleague is doing the same thing. I'm no Reaganite, but I've got a couple favorite moments as well. The first was when the president was joking around during a mike check and said, "My fellow Americans. I'm pleased to announce that I've signed legislation outlawing the Soviet Union. We begin bombing in five minutes." Everyone seemed really upset about it at the time, but even as a teenage left-liberal I thought it was pretty funny. It seemed like the same sort of jackass prank I would pull if I were president.

The other moment, of course, was when Reagan looked James Stewart in the eye and said, "Jimmy, don't make me have to kill you." Most historians, I should add, believe this did not occur, on the grounds that it actually happened in a sketch on Saturday Night Live. Well, tough: these are my memories, and I can put whatever I want into them.


posted by Jesse 4:33 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .