The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Monday, April 05, 2004
THE PASSAGE OF TIME, NOTED: I never got swept up in the Nirvana/Subpop/grunge excitement of the early '90s -- my taste in punk leans towards the faster and funnier -- so the death of Kurt Cobain, 10 years ago today, didn't feel like a personal blow. It's the fact that 10 years have passed that floors me.

I was in Seattle the weekend after his suicide. I wandered over to Cobain's neighborhood with my friends
Paul and Oscar, to watch the young punkettes lay flowers at the edge of his property while glowering guards dissuaded them from coming closer. We made dark jokes about the wealth that was about to befall Courtney Love and the vast conspiracies that might link Cobain's death to that of Vince Foster (yes! it's been a decade since he died, too!), then headed back up to Capitol Hill. The memory is way too vivid to be 10 years old.

2004 marks the tenth aniversary of Pulp Fiction and Mellow Gold and the Contract with America. It's been 10 years since Beck and Tarantino were fresh new voices, 10 years since Johnny Cash and Robert Crumb returned to prominence. And 20 years since Repo Man. I feel old.


posted by Jesse 11:16 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .