The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Friday, September 05, 2003
BIRTHDAY CURRY: An excellent birthday dinner last night. Some background: Two years ago, R. took me to a restaurant that served, as one of its temporary specials, an East African Lamb Curry. This was one of the tastiest meals I'd ever eaten, and the restaurant quickly became a favorite -- but they haven't made the curry since then. So last weekend R. persuaded them to make the dish again for me on Thursday.

Or, at least, to make something like the dish: The cooks weren't using a recipe last time -- they had essentially improvised it from the ingredients at hand -- and they thus had no instructions to fall back on except their two-year-old memories. So I last night I ate this extremely tasty meal, basically a vindaloo with African spices, but I couldn't really tell you if I'd had it before. And neither could anyone else.

A very good present. A very kind woman. I'm a lucky man.


posted by Jesse 11:06 AM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .