The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Tuesday, August 05, 2003
RECOUNTING THE RECOUNT: Keith Halderman
takes issue with my comment that "both sides were trying to steal an election" three years ago. I really don't want to get into this, because there are few topics I find as tiresome as the Florida recounts. I'll just repeat an syllogism I've spouted a few times before:

1. Petty theft goes on in virtually every election, on both sides.

2. In a statistical tie, petty theft is enough to swing an election.

3. Therefore, if a vote is close enough, whoever loses can make a good case that he was robbed. And whoever won could've make a good case, had he lost, that he was robbed.

I'm bored silly by Gore voters (and Nader voters) who claim that Bush didn't "really" win in 2000, as though there were some Platonic ideal winner out there on some parallel plane. Elections are power struggles, fought on far more levels than asking for votes. Bush won the power struggle, so he won the election. I'm not interested in refighting that battle, and not just because I didn't have a dog in the fight.

But I'm not going to pretend that it didn't get ugly along the way.


posted by Jesse 12:10 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .