The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Friday, September 20, 2002
ME AND MY BIG MOUTH: Two Decembers ago, Al Gore conceded defeat at the hands of George W. Bush, bringing the post-election drama of 2000 to a close. Late that night, I wrote up my thoughts on the matter, then e-mailed the results to some friends. This week I stumbled on that e-mail again, and realized I'd be wise to watch what I wish for, even when my tongue's clearly passing near my cheek:

"Already I miss the so-called crisis: the sense of possibility, of speculation; the feeling that anything could happen. We'll look back on this past month for decades to come, remembering a time of furious public debate, a time when the masks fell away, when the world turned upside down. W is a narcotic: I grow drowsy even contemplating him and the bipartisan era he promises. With order restored, the only real joy comes from an unlikely source: Al Gore, whose concession was oddly jovial, as though he could scarcely repress his laughter. Freed from a lifelong quest for the presidency, Gore seems to have undergone a satori experience. Years of accumulated character armor are cracking. Suddenly, his life is filled with possibility, even as the polity's possible futures grow more constrained.

"Or maybe not: maybe the rest of us will be able to breathe the air of uncertainty one more time. First an impeachment, then a disputed election: surely the powers that be can produce another show for us -- something bigger, something badder -- a depression? a revolution? the annihilation of all life? I tremble eagerly, a glutton for interesting times."

See what I mean? There's some things you probably shouldn't joke about. It's bad juju.


posted by Jesse 4:10 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .