The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Monday, September 30, 2002
HIS HAIR WAS PERFECT: I haven't joined in the blogosphere's general public mourning for Warren Zevon, mostly because, while I like his music plenty and would be sorry to hear he was dying even if I didn't, I don't have anything to say about him that anyone would benefit from hearing. I own only one of his albums -- yeah, it's
Excitable Boy -- and I'm not very familiar with his other work. He's one of those musicians I've always liked but never taken the time to explore, to my present regret.

Not so my Reason colleague Brian Doherty, who's posted a very nice appreciation of Zevon in his zine-turned-weblog, Surrender. It's exactly what critical writing about rock should be but usually isn't: very precise, almost objective, in describing just what it is that impresses the author about the musician, but at the same time an unmistakably subjective account of one listener's personal responses. Check it out.

I realize I haven't dropped many clues to my musical taste on this weblog. Regular readers know that I like Beck and the Mighty Clouds of Joy, and they may have inferred that I enjoy Isaac Hayes and Marilyn Manson as well, since I've alluded to both. (I do like Hayes. Manson usually bores me.) I won't try your patience here with one of those desert-island lists that fans are fond of composing, but if you're really curious, you can read the list I put together a year or two ago for the All-Music Guide, during my brief spell writing freelance record reviews for them. I still stand by it, I suppose, though I can't believe they let me cheat and include an entire Merle Haggard box set.


posted by Jesse 7:29 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .