The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
The Perpetual Three-Dot Column
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

by Jesse Walker

Thursday, September 26, 2002
ELUSIVE CINEMA: It's been seven months since I moved from Los Angeles to Baltimore. People sometimes ask me what, aside from my West Coast friends, I miss the most. I give two answers:

1. the burritos, and

2. the movies.

Especially the movies. I got spoiled living in L.A., seeing new releases when they really were new and seeing obscure releases that never turned up anywhere else outside New York. Here in Baltimore, the restored Metropolis came and went in a flash, playing just a week and disappearing before I even noticed it had made it to town. Another recent release that looked interesting, Swimming, had a similarly short stay. (I actually knew that one had arrived, but we passed it up its first weekend to watch My Big Fat Boring Sitcom instead. When we tried to come back and see the smaller film a week later, it was already gone.)

Last weekend we saw Sex and Lucia, the latest from one of my favorite filmmakers of the hour, Julio Medem. The problem here wasn't an overly short run: The local paper says Lucia will stick around for at least one more week. The problem is that it didn't show up until months after it had already played in California. It's bad enough we had to wait a year after its Spanish release before the picture arrived in America. Why tack on yet more time?

If that sounds like whining, allow me to repeat myself: I got spoiled living in L.A. Baltimore has many charms, and one of them, I suppose, is a bracing dose of reality.


posted by Jesse 7:18 PM
. . .

. . .

For past entries, click here.


. . .